Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bicycle Wheel Jewelry Display

I've been threatening to make a bike wheel necklace display this for weeks - now I have! Tutorial to follow if anyone expresses interest.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

How to Patch Veneer - A Great Little Tutorial

No, it's not mine: I found it on The Family Handyman, where they have all sorts of great bits of advice. But it helped me out a lot.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Before and After: Grey/Black French Provincial Tallboy Dresser

As soon as I saw this tall Dixie dresser begging me to take him home from the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, I knew I wanted to try my hand at a more masculine take on American Mid-Century French Provincial. These pieces are usually so girly, with their swooshy hardware and muted gold over yellowed ivory. I wanted something dark for my tall, handsome new friend.

I'm always so anxious to jump in that I have a hard time remembering to do "before" pictures, so unfortunately I had already removed some hardware and tested out a paint color (not the one I ultimately ended up using) by the time I thought to take this shot. As you can see it had the typical look of the average 1960's FP-style furniture.

I opted to use a homemade chalk paint for several reasons. 1) I can't afford the store-bought; 2) I was too lazy to strip the paint, and I knew chalk paint would stick better without a lot of prep; and 3) I wanted the thick, matte look that comes from making it a little extra-chalky. Here's what I ended up with.

Not only did it take a few tries to get the paint color right (one version was too greenish, another too bluish: I was looking for a more pure greyish black or blackish grey - thank you, Lowe's paint guy, for your patience!), but it also took a while to find the right gold leaf. There are many different shades of gold on the market, from Venetian Gold to Florentine Gold to Classic Gold to Brassy Gold, and I tried them all until I landed on the final choice. I went with it because it was the purest, most no-nonsense gold I found - no flashy red or blue undertones - and it seemed to match the simplicity of the grey really well.

As is so often the case with me, I got impatient at the last minute and ended up using my old standby Rub-On Polyurethane in Satin to finish because it happened to be what I had around. As a result, I lost some of the matte-ness the chalk paint gave me. I still think it came out pretty good, but next time I will opt for a matte finish instead.